Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Almost There!

We are nearing completion on the Temple. Last week we installed the BIG frame on the front of the Temple--about 8' wide and 30' tall, and today we installed a tall narrow window that is on the northwest corner--about 3' wide and 40' tall. They were challenging.

We had a lot of difficulty setting the final insulated glass in the large front window. My boss, Gary, was on the lift with the window (4' square) and Jason and I were inside in a very precarious position poking our bodies out of little excess holes. The top section of this large frame is not in a room, more like a crawl-space that will be lit at night to shine out the stained glass window...anyway so only 18" from the inside plane of the window is a painted wall with two small cut-outs. We could not get the glass to the frame from the inside but all the glass sets into the frame from the inside. The plan was that Gary would lift the glass into us and we would take the balance, then get the glass inside on an angle, and set it from the inside. But Gary could not even get under the glass to lift it. So Jason and I just looked at each other and out the window I jumped onto the lift with Gary to get the glass up. Did I mention that this was at 6:30pm after starting at 6:00am. We were tired and had to get this frame closed up before we went home, and we wanted to get home.
The frame I am talking about is the large area of plywood in the center of this picture. That whole area is in one room (for the most part) that is 2 stories+ tall. Beautiful! I will post some pictures that show the glass soon.
We are now down to one more window, 2 entry-ways, and 6 frames (with no glass) left to install. The last window we have to wait on as that opening will be the exit for the lifts on the 2nd floor. We have started on entry ways, and we are also waiting on other junk to get done for the 6 frames. There are also other things here and there that have to be done there, but we have really gotten a lot done in the past months. It has been really amazing to see so much transpire there. It will be a beautiful building.
One more cool thing I was told today... Gary told us that we will be able to get tickets for the Dedication! We can get one for ourselves and a companion. So Jess and I will be in the temple for the Dedication. What an opportunity!

4 comments:

Slade said...

Hey,

My family is in Jackson this week. We're staying in Teton Villiage and drove by the new visitor's center today.

It looks pretty good...those windows look like a major PITButt...

Glad to hear the large window on the temple worked. I'd hate to see you post a blog photo of it all shattered.

We'll come up for the open-house...not lucky enough to get a ticket.

/napoleonvoiceon/

LUCKY!

/napoleonvoiceoff/

Tyler said...

Thanks for the compliment...even though I want to shoot whoever insisted on that curtain wall system. It was a pain...I am glad I haven't been there in 2 months!

The large window I spoke of was actually about half the size of the one that WAS broken--toatly destroyed! A high school kid that we have help out with the little stuff dropped a $3K window just moving it with our boss...oops! Glad it wasn't me!

Sally said...

I am totally impressed by your skills. I can't wait to see it all done.

Tyler said...

--Sweet Skills?--Thanks