Monday, July 29, 2013

What has consumed me for the last year.....

So for the last year I have been working on the largest project I have done.  It has been a huge undertaking to say the least.  It was very difficult and it really put a strain on us.  Luckily we were able to find some good glaziers in the area that have really helped us get through the job.  It seems like this job has completely consumed me this last year, and I can't show appreciation to Jessica enough for standing by and being understanding as I have haven't been able to be there emotionally for her as much as she has been for me.  It has been a huge struggle and I can't thank her enough.

October 2012, we had only one window installed, but many more built and glazed at the warehouse.
 
 

In November we had the 2 ends of the first building closed up, and then started on the large banks of curtain wall on the south and north sides.
 

In January, we had the first building closed in for the most part as well as the east and west ends of the 2nd building.  The large bays took a long time to close in and even longer to finish out with caulking and shades.
 

Long, Cold days in the winter to close in the building
 



Above are 2 opposing views of the courtyard between the 2 large buildings.
 
 
This was the first time I have worked with sun-shades.  They were a pain at first, but once we got the hang of them, they aren't too bad.  They take a lot of prep work on the curtain wall, but I like the look they give and they do knock down a lot of the direct light coming into the building without cutting down ambient light. I don't like the vertical single shades as much though.



These are the vertical single blade shades that I don't like as much, especially as they span in the middle of the vision lites.  It seems ridiculous to have 10' wide windows just to cut up the vision with a piece of cosmetic metal on the outside.
 


On the inside of the south facing windows we also installed these light shelves.  These are another thing that seems a bit extreme.  The idea is to increase the ambient light by bouncing light from the upper glass opening to the ceiling....it might work but not in the rooms where the ceiling is painted dark grey and is 10' above the shelf (not like the one here)




This building really "sings" in the morning and evening light.  It was a challenge I wasn't looking forward to by any means, but I have certainly grown from it....I don't know if, given the choice, I would choose to undertake it....at least that is how I feel about it at this point.

No comments: