Thursday, November 09, 2006

Why glaziers don't wear rings

Today I had a little lesson as to why glaziers (and really all construction workers) should not wear rings...yep! You guessed it. You may or may not want to see these pictures.

We were installing a little glass corner to enclose part of a shower in a house in Victor, ID. I was standing on the little corner seat in the shower, holding the metal frame with my left hand, while running a screw into the frame with my right. After running the screw in, I stepped down, but my wedding ring caught the edge of the frame I was installing. OUCH!!! Among a few other words came out of my mouth. I filleted my finger quite bad...just layers of skin though. It swelled up quickly....I wish I would have pulled my ring off, but that flapper was in the way.


By the time we got to Jackson...by the way I did this at 8am today, and we still had a VERY full day of work to do in Jackson Hole! Anyway, by the time we got to Jackson, I was about ready to cut my ring off for fear of the swelling getting too tight. But it seemed to loose enough that I didn't need to worry. If the swelling comes back (I don't think it will), the cutters are coming out and the ring is coming off.

As soon as it heals up...or at least until the swelling goes down enough...the ring is coming off. I do like to wear it, but I like to have a finger to wear it on.


Can you see how much it has swelled?

Pretty nasty eh?

5 comments:

Slade said...

I have heard horror stories of 'de-gloving', and even loss of fingers.

I quit wearing my ring within the first year of marriage, and really only wear it to special occasions.

I tell my wife I'm 'feeling like being married' when I wear it. It's our own little personal joke.

Cut that sucker off if you need to. Don't even think twice. Glad you didn't lose more than you did. It can be UGLY!

Sally said...

Sick! Awesome photos! Be extra careful!

Tyler said...

Yea It is coming off soon...I hate to cut it off unless my finger turns purple.
My dad (also a glazier) has always told me that glaziers that he knows that wear a ring, wear it on a different finger now...for this reason.

Slade said...

You could wear it around your neck...or your big toe! Hehe.

Anonymous said...

Holy @#$t Tyler,
I have seen worse pics at halliburton but never of one of my buddies hands. Watch out there. Hey we will be up next wednesday for Thanksgiving. We will stop by
peace, Tyson in Lehi