Saturday, September 29, 2007

Progress on the Westy!

Friday night. The new(er) engine on the stand, and my new (sweet!) exhaust below the old nasty stock exhaust.

So today was pretty exciting. Mike Oswald, a fellow VW junkie from Rexburg, came down and helped me switch out my Bus engine. I worked on it last night pulling all the wires and disconnecting the air cleaner and vaccum lines. Then today we got the old one out and the new one in. This was an adventure whereas the floor jack I borrowed from my dad leaks--a lot! We had to keep pumping the arm while trying to shift the engine into place. It looked like 2 monkies..........


Where did the engine go?!? Just before putting in the engine.

We could only get it in and bolted to the transmission, couldn't put the rear cross member on because the engine mounts that are on it were trashed...both pairs. So I got that ordered, and next week I will put them and the exhaust on. After Mike left I worked on new fuel lines (gas on the arms burns a little bit!) and wiring. Now I wish I could remember where ALL those dang vaccum lines go! I can't believe the cluster they are!

New(er) engine on the leaky jack. It's amazing that we got the engine in...at one point I bench pressed it while under the bus, just to get it into place.

I also have a Eberspacher BA6 gas heater coming next week...I have no idea when or how I am going to install that. But when I do...Goodbye to Cold winter drives in the bus...in fact--Hello winter camping! (I hope!) That would be pretty cool!

There will still be a lot of work to do on this bus...which I think her name is Helga (thanks Andy)...Like paint (The mural has to go, sorry), a new pop-top tent (I'm going with a Hemp/Cotton Blend), Wood panneling on all doors and headliner (sweet!)...and I'm sure there will be MANY MANY more things that I want to do with it, but first I have to get it up and running, it will be my daily driver too.

Wish me luck!


2 comments:

Slade said...

Dang, your blog got new all of a sudden.

We drove up Big Cottonwood Canyon last Saturday in a snowstorm.

I was telling the kids the only time I ever had heat in my '72 Westy was when I did the same drive in High School heading up to Brighton to ski.

I was wrapped out in 2nd gear and felt a little trickle of heat out of the vents. I must have been turning 4K which generated enough heat to squeeze through the dang heat exchangers.

Your heater will be sweet!

Oh yeah, I blew the motor up in that van the following summer.

Nice Dutch Oven recipie...yummmm!

Tyler said...

My 72 never really had heat. I finally got my heter fan to blow and the heat exchangers to open...only to pump exhaust and burnt oil into the bus. so I was forced to disconnect it.

I could live with it, but it was no good with the wife and kids along for the ride. We went camping at the city of rocks in the spring of 05...we left a day early on account of snow. That was a cold wet ride home. We stopped in Pocatello and walked around Wal-Mart for an hour just to warm up. I do still miss the 72, but this westy will be alot of fun to have.