Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fluid Ride

The morning sun shining in my eyes. I enter the shade of aspens and pines, and the trail is clear. Winds left, then right then an abrupt drop. I shift my weight back, far back behind my seat. I can feel gravity pulling me forward down the hill. My mind is sharp on this early morning ride, and it needs to be. Rocks, trees and ruts fly by. I have to be alert. A stump on the left, a quick lean to the right...too fast...slow down...my rear tire slides to the side...I am able to correct and continue sailing down the trail. It is a rush! I can feel the adrenaline moving me, quickening my senses, reaching out. It is a peace! I am deep in thought, far from the trail, far from the canyon, and yet all there...Zen. The hum of the tires on the dirt, a continual hum...until...a jump and nothing, just the sound of air redirected through my helmet and past my ears...cooling. Then a solid reconnection with the soil and the tires and the hum continues. Water flowing through pebbles and stones, a large splash and the refreshing cool water on my face legs and arms. It is wonderous how exhilerating and yet calming this morning ride can be. Flowing down the canyon, quickly...swiftly, but calm and rejuvenating...both as with the creek that I follow.

I went for a morning mountain bike ride with Rusty and Chaun on Monday. It has been far too long, and cannot be as long again, it was far too therapeutic to hold off for too long.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Give me a call. Lets go.

Brian said...

Didn't you forget the part that goes something like:

"Like a stealthy snake, the trail dips and repositions. My reaction is slow, and the trail and I part ways. A tree tries to impede my forward progress. At a tangent we meet, and a small amount of flesh becomes one with the treebark. My tire disappears over the edge of a cornice and I am flying. I soar effortlessly like a bird of prey, silently scanning the ground so very far below. I dive. The earth rushes too embrace me. As we kiss, I am amazed by the sound of breaking timber, and then, a peaceful black nothing...is this nirvana?

Tyler said...

Oh! That is great Brian! But the error you see is that I don't crash when I ride...I think you are pulling that from YOUR memory. But very good! I dig the nirvana part!

Anonymous said...

long time no write!
sorry tyler
we are well and happy.
TYSON