Sunday, July 02, 2006

Jackson for the day


Yesterday we drove up to Grand Teton Nat. Park for a day hike with Kevin & Tammie and Kevin’s brother, Jim & his family. We hiked up to Taggart Lake, at the base of Nez Perce and Shadow Peak. It was so much fun! I was worried that the kids would have been cranky and tired and terrible to handle. But they were really good. Topher hiked most of it (3.2 miles), and only had to be carried for a little bit. I must have looked funny to other hikers with Creedance in the child carrier on my back and Topher on my shoulders at the same time. We had a cooler with ICE COLD water in the trunk of the car, and boy was it nice to have after the hike, we drank much!

While were in the area, I had to go to a few photo galleries in Jackson. First of course had to be the Oswald, then Images of Nature Galleyr, and the Brookover? (I may have this name wrong--Jon may have to correct me). The Oswald has got to be my favorite, not as much as for decorating the 2nd home in the woods as the other galleries seem to be, but purely to be Fine Art. They were in the process of putting up the Roman Loranc exhibit, too bad it wasn’t up, the images they had leaning against the wall were BEAUTIFUL! In the back of the gallery there is a room that is mostly vintage photographs by artists like Edward Weston (top of my list), Brett Weston, William Henry Jackson (an original print from 1892!), Ansel Adams ($100K for the one print of his—an original printed by him), Cartier-Bresson 4and others. There was also four contemporary still lives of construction paper in natural light by Ion Zupcu. So elegant! Wish I had an extra grand laying around to buy one print. They do not sell reproductions, only original prints by the artist. Beautiful!

No comments: