Monday, July 31, 2006

Sun Valley and Campfire

Last Friday I worked at the Hailey airport (just a little job, some glass showcases), and while there I thought I should take some pictures of the Sun Valley area. The lady that owns the gift shop in the airport wants me to make some decks of cards with a photo of something in Sun Valley on the back.

I haven’t photographed there very much and so I’m not very familiar with the area and what to shoot. I also don’t really want to make cliché images (unfortunately I think that the cliché pictures of Sun Valley are what she has in mind). Also the light was terrible! Here’s just about the only one that is near what I’m looking for. But it is far from my best work…”I’ve had better.” Any suggestions of what, where and when to shoot in Sun Valley would be a lot of help.

I don’t think the photos I made were very good for the cards, but I did have fun photographing the Cold Springs bridge that is just south of Ketchum. I walked down into the Big Wood River and made some images to stitch together. I got a really cool 360°. It needs some touching up, or a better stitching program, before I make a print, It is 9” x 86” at full size. “IT’S PRETTY BIG!” Some of you have seen my big roll of film that I made of the Big Southern Butte, maybe I should make a series of those rolls of film. I could sell them in pro packs! Would anyone buy them? Here’s 180° of the Cold Springs Bridge image:

Saturday night we went up past Kelly Canyon so I could ride down Wolverine Creek Trail. Jess, the kids and Dave (Jessica’s brother) dropped me off at the Haully’s Gulch trailhead then met me at the bottom with a campfire and marshmallows. This was the same trail I did about a month ago (and wrote about in another post). It wasn’t quite as good. It was much dustier, and I am always a little worried when I ride alone. But I did the 8 miles or so in 50 minutes. Pretty good I think. When I got to the bottom, we all wished that we were camping out, and not just there for a campfire. Maybe in a couple of weeks we’ll do that.

No comments: