Sunday, August 19, 2007

My Thoughts on my Symes Amputation Project

Waiting for his new foot. The little thing on the end attaches to the prosthetic and holds it on.

So here I am laying on a sofa and you all are sitting in a big leather chair writing in a notebook...likely drawing picutres and not really listening...Ha Ha! Anyway. So I do continue photographing TJ's experience with his amputation and prosthetic. But I worry that the images seem or will seem like just snapshots of somebody's kid. I always want my portraits of children (and candid images) to be more than just snapshots. It is easy for them to become snapshots...

Playing out front. He rides this backwards all the time. It seems easier for him to get on this way.

Also it is difficult for me to go with Jess & TJ to Shriner's hospital for the visits. I can shoot his life here at home...but then those begin to look like the snapshots. Then when I am at Shriner's with my camera I feel a little funny with the camera, kind of like when a new father is videotaping his wife in Labor. Not too many people at that hospital worry about photographing their experience there. Maybe some of the people think I am a little morbid? I know I shouldn't let that bug me, but sometimes I think it does a little.

Topher and TJ playing in "Their Bus." Topher is always telling me that it is his...not mine.


This project is also such a long one, and I don't know what I want for the final result will be....maybe there will not be a FINAL result. This seems to be a project that will simply continue. Maybe I am to photograh this only for my son to have for himself. Maybe the presentation will be his to create.

2 comments:

Slade said...

Yes. Perfect.

Keep writing...keep shooting.

They can't be snapshots, they don't qualify...you have put too much brainpower into the project for even the most mundane image to be a snapshot.

Your most important audience is your son. He will have a LOT of questions. This way you can answer them easier...even a bad picture is worth at least 500 words.

Tyler said...

Thanks, I really appreciate that.