Sunday, August 19, 2007

Wolverine Cr. Trail



Kyle on the first run, just 1/2 mile to go
Last night we went bike riding with Kyle again. This trip was much better. We knew where we were the whole time. Kyle found a map that helped us understand where we were lost last time...we still don't see how we eneded up where we did when we did. The only explination that Kyle can come up with is Devine Intervention.

At the end of my 21 minute ride. The snake River in the back. (Camera-phone picture)

We got up there a little earlier than originally planned, and we were waiting for Milton and his family to get there. So we did a run of Wolverine Cr. Trail as soon as Jess and I got there. Another guy, Adam, came with us on this run too. We started right at the Wolverine trailhead (as to avoid ANY climbing), which gives us a killer fast ride. The three of us got down the trail pretty good. It had just rained and so was a bit muddy, I wish I had some clear lenses to keep the mud out of my eyes, but the rain knocked the dust down nicely. At one point I was coming up to two muddy ruts (double-track), and opted to ride the center as to stay out of the water. Just as I was almost past my front tire slipped into the left rut and my rear went to the right! I was able to get my pedal unclipped just in time to avoid spilling over. It was a good run. We did have to ride up hill for about 2 miles to get back to the campsite.

When we got back, Milton had just gotten there and we loaded up for another run. So we got dropped off at the top again. It was beautifull weather but by the time we got to the top again it was starting to get a bit chilly. So I turned on some good tunes and headed down. I wanted to see how quick I could get down. It was a blast! I was flying around corners, over rocks and stumps...it was great. I miss that feeling of finding that flow with the trail. When I got to the spot I almost ate it on the first run, I opted to stay on the right side of the right rut. Well I hugged it a little too far right and went over pretty hard. The ground was nice and soft from the rain, but I was a bit muddy...oh well. Then just as I was coming out the bottom of the trail (It gets REALLY rocky and loose at the bottom), I lost control and slammed my leg hard into a wall of rock and heard a loud pop (over the music blasting in my ears). I rolled down the last 50 yards of the trail and realized I blew the rear tire. I hit that rock hard. But hey! I got the flat at the end and not the top.

From the trail head to the bottom--21 minutes--5 miles. It was a blast! I'd love to try it on a long travel full suspension bike and not my hard-tail...

We got a ride back to the campsite and hung out and cooked burgers. It was a great night. We still got home earlier than the last time too.

No comments: