Friday, May 19, 2006

Holga trees

This summer, Jessica and I are responsible for planning our family reunion. So we are taking the families up to Island Park and Yellowstone. We are staying at a B&B and playing in Yellowstone and Island Park. Well, we wanted to have T-shirts for everyone, but to have them be more than just the average 'family reunion' T-shirts. We hope that they would be cool enough that everyone would want to wear them later, and not feel silly wearing them together while walking around Old Faithfull. OK, so if all 37 of us are wearing the same shirt, we will feel silly anyway! But I want the shirt to at least look kind of cool.

So here's my idea. I have wanted to get shirts printed up for myself...I dig T-shirts, and I think that some of my photographs put onto shirts would look cool, and work as advertising for myself...I could even wear them to work at Cherry Glass (conflict of interest?)! So I took this and thought I would make a photograph of a tree, and use that for the reunion shirts...you know like a family tree. So here's what I have so far. I still need to come up with a word or words to put on the front...as far away from "Hopkins Family Reunion" as I can. But for the photo, I wanted a simple image, Holga-ized (or from a Holga, but I don't have time to process the film let alone the scanner to digitize it). This first image is the feel I want, but not quite the photo. It was made with my Holga camera, and so the vinietting is natural.


Now, this next image is one I made a few days ago for the shirt, I kind of like the tree, but I don't think I was as successfull with Holga-izeing it. It seems too forced. I was thinking of having them printed in just white on black shirts so that image just bleeds into the shirt. Let me know what you all think, also if you have ANY ideas of what to put on the front tell me...I'm drawing a blank. There are a few other trees that I have found that may work out well. Thanks for any feedback.

2 comments:

Brian said...

One of my students made a cool 'Family tree' image last semester in Digital. He photographed a very heavily 'branched' tree, getting fairly close and including the main trunk and about 30 branches. He then put the names of family members on the different branches using text, but only to create a text 'mask' and then burn in the name directly onto the image, not as floating independent type characters. It really turned out pretty well. I think I can get an electronic copy if you want to see it.

Tyler said...

If you can, that would be great. It might be tough to do with 37 of us, but it would be helpfull to see.