Sunday, September 17, 2006

Pocatello Pump

This weekend was the Pocatello Pump. The Pump is a climbing competition that the ISU outdoor program has put on for the last 25 years, this has been my 3rd year competing I think. It was a blast! OK, so on Saturday the wind and rain was blasting cold, but it was still fun. Considering the weather, I think that I did better than any other year (as far as not burning out too soon). This was the first time that I have competed and not burnt my self out in the first half hour. You have an hour and a half to complete as many climbs as you can, and only get two falls on each climb.


Bla bla bla….anyway I think I did pretty well. I only did 6 climbs, but flashed each one and finished with 52 points. I think that if the weather was more favorable, and I climbed in a heat by myself I could have gotten closer to 70-80 points. But I don’t go to compete. I mean this is usually the only time I get out and climb in a year. I go for the company and the fact that I can climb whatever I want at Ross Park and don’t have to set up (or take down) a top rope or lead.

Jess and the kids came with me for support and a little get away. We were going to camp, but with the cold weather we opted for Motel 6. Not too bad for $40 a night. We still were able to do a little campfire with Kevin and Tammie.

Toph had some fun climbing, and really amazed us with his bouldering skills. If he can make it to the top of anything at Ross Park next summer, we will enter him in the Pump next year. He’s got skills!

The awards party was fun too. Everyone that enters walks away with something. Everyone’s name is drawn out of a hat, and then you go up and pick your prize. This year there were a lot of good things to pick from…2 ropes, several packs, a sweet sleeping bag…and so much more. The first people drawn have best choice of course, but by the end of the night they start throwing everything else out to the crowd. I walked away with a Gerber multi tool, a shirt and a couple of hats.

I got some sweet photos of Toph bouldering! I will get them on another post...I am having a lot of trouble uploading them right now...so sweet photos to come.

2 comments:

Slade said...

Tyler,

Will you remind me when that is next year? I have wanted to photograph that stretch of rock with climbers on it for my lake project. A nice panorama with all of those people climing would be super sweet.

Tyler said...

Sure, no problem Mike. It is usually in mid-Sept...just check with the ISU website if I forget.