Sunday, April 29, 2007

My new "Westy"

Milton at the 2005 Oktoberfest with his (now my Westy)

So some may know that I am a VW junkie. For those who don't...I'm a VW Junkie! I did have a '72 Bus for a while...that was an adventure. She was a red & white beauty! But we had to sell her to buy our minivan when we had TJ. I have always loved the Bus, plenty of room, you can always turn heads (usually away), and they are a blast to drive (when they run). For a little change, I have been toying with the idea of getting a Beetle or a Ghia to satisfy my VW craving, but haven't came accrost one yet. Well about a month ago the opportunity found me. My friend, Milton, has had this great '79 Westfalia (Westy--a camper) but has decided that it needed another home. After much much negotiation (me telling him that he could not just give it to me)we settled on a trade: his Westy (that didn't run) for my 79 Honda Trail 90 (that likewise did not run). As of yet it has not left his garage...I haven't had time to start working on it, but I just could not pass it up! My kids are excited...can't say the same for Jessica.


Toph is very excited for the Westy--he can't wait to go camping in it.


As for now the plan of action is to first get a battery to check compression. If that shows bad valve heads (as I am told main the problem is), then it will be a trip to Gate City Repair for engine work. Then I will focus on cleaning up the inside (not too bad), removing the 5 gal propane tank on the back and spare tire mount on front, installing a gas heater (Eberspacher BA6), then patch and paint. I think I'd like to do a two tone like my '72 with a dark green and white...then there's the idea of rhino lining. Any ideas? As cool as it is, I think the mural has to go...not quite my personality.

Who's ready to go camping?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ThAT'S nice thats REAL NICEEE!
ha ha
Tyson

Jon said...

Tyler,

Give me a call and lets talk. I have a good friend that is a mechanic and a vw junkie like you. He is also a photographer. He may be able to help you out.

Here is his website.

http://home.earthlink.net/~neeemo/toms1986syncrowesty25tdi/

Jon

Andy said...

dude! Jesse had that for a while, then it ended up in Anthony's possession (Makes me shudder).

Been climbin, bikin, or hikin much yet?

Tyler said...

Yea, my wife was a little iffy about it because of Anthony's ownership too.

I haven't been out playing much yet. Too busy with work, and trying to get into a house. Also my thumb is still quite tender from cutting it. Don't know how much that will let me climb.